Social Links

How To Serve your Husband in Staten Island

how to serve your husband in staten island

How To Serve your Husband in Staten Island

How To Serve your Husband in Staten Island

You have the paperwork ready but do you still need to know how to serve your husband in Staten Island? You can use a process server by First Class Process. Divorce cases are only handled by the New York Supreme Court. The Plaintiff is the individual filing for the divorce, while the other spouse is known as the defendant.


There are uncontested and contested divorces. In an uncontested divorce, the defendant does not argue with the divorce. A contested divorce is when the defendant does argue the divorce and the aspects such as the distribution of property. In the state of New York, the couple is required to show the proper documentation that they have lived in the state for a specific period. There must also be grounds for a divorce.


The divorce court papers must be delivered directly to the defendant as required by the state of New York. After the plaintiff has purchased the index number and summons have been filed, the defendant must be notified of the case. You can use a process server to deliver the legal papers. The right papers must be handed to the defendant.


In an uncontested divorce in which the defendant will return the “Affidavit of Defendant” signed and notarized, the plaintiff can serve the papers. For a contested divorce, the defendant must be served the papers personally. Specific steps must be followed.


Serving the Defendant

  • Plaintiff cannot serve defendant, thus someone else who is at least 18 years old must do it
  • The papers that are being served in New York State must be served by a New York state resident
  • Papers must be served within 120 days from the date the papers were filed.


The person serving the papers must fill and return the Affidavit of Service to the Plaintiff, signed and notarized.



To hire a First Class Process process server who can serve your husband in Staten Island you can click here.


Call Now